Monday, 26 August 2013

Here is Home!

Yesterday the children were trying to understand why there were so many cars on the roads at the moment.
"People come here on holiday," I explained.  "So, in the summer time there are more cars."
"Why don't we come here on holiday?" asked Miss I.

"Because we're lucky enough to live here all the time," I said.
We've been so privileged to live in places people usually only visit for holidays.  Of nowhere is this more true than the Falkland Islands.  After all, how many people even go there on holiday?  For us it is even more special because Miss C was born there.

Soon I will be doing a series posts on my 10 favourite things about the different places we have lived - at home and abroad.  If you'd like to join in and do a guest post, let me know - especially those of you who don't have a blog.

Here is Mr J getting up close and personal with one of the locals.  One of many #Magic Moments.


11 comments:

  1. Living in the Falklands must have been so interesting. Will be looking out for your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing. I may find myself having to do more than one post on our time there. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. It sounds a lovely idea listing the things special about places you have lived, love the photo too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. We have been so lucky to live in lots of interesting places. I'm looking forward to reliving them with the posts.

      Delete
  3. wow what a fantastic place to live!!

    thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having a #MagicMoment! It was one of the best places we've lived.

      Delete
  4. So are you living in the Falklands now? As you say, what an unusual place. Look forward to reading more about all of the places you've lived :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we've been in rural Wales for a year now. We were in the Falklands for three years - not always easy, but a wonderful experience and a great place for children. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. How lovely. I'm from York so grew up with people visiting my home for their holidays. It used to drive me made - tourists and so forth "in my way" while I was trying to go about my day. Of course now that I've moved away and I can appreciate the city more I realise why they were there and what they were looking at.
    #magicmoments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in London and was occassionally frustrated by the tourists as a commuter, but mostly I enjoyed seeing them around. Tourism is very important to the FI, but when two big cruise ships turn up on the same day (say 2000+ people on board each) in a community of less than 2000 people, town gets pretty busy! People in matching jackets wander around the few streets in packs, blocking the traffic, occassionally wandering into people's gardens as though it's some giant theme park with open access everywhere! Really quite funny to watch, but frustrating trying to do your weekly shop.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Jocelyn (@ihavecards)13 October 2013 at 18:36

    Sounds like a great idea for a series of posts. Love that photo, too :)

    ReplyDelete

Long or short - I love to hear your thoughts.