Monday, 9 September 2013

Magic Milestones...


Like most people, last week was one of new beginnings and special milestones for our family.


Miss I has started Juniors (after a little bit of illness that made her miss the first few days) and it's time to start talking after school clubs and musical instruments, homework and new responsibilities.  She's growing up, my little girl!  How we'll find time for everything - Cooking Club, Netball, Flute lessons (or trumpet, we're still trying to decide), Brownies, and "Off the Bus Club", plus the homework that I expect will start soon.  I'm just glad that I can drive now!

Mr J is in Year Two.  No change of classroom, but it will be the first time since starting school that he won't have his older sister in the same class to compare himself with.  I'm really pleased with the difference it already seems to be making in his attitude.  I've always felt he was overshadowed by his sister but it's been difficult when they're only 18 months and 1 academic year apart to give him the space he needs to grow - especially when both in the Falkland Islands and here in Wales they have been in the same class.

Miss A is now in Reception, not quite as much of a shock to the system as it would have been if she hadn't started full time nursery school in the same class last term, but still very significant in her eyes.  She was quite anxious about going back to school, expecting to suddenly have hard work to do.  She has been pleasantly surprised, I think and has been pretty cheerful since starting this term and happily went in again this morning.


Miss C started playgroup on Friday.  She has been to occasional play sessions away from me, but this is the first regular group she will be part of without me.  It was so lovely to go and pick her up at lunch time and hear how much fun she'd had.  I have always believed it's important for children to have social time away from their parents, to learn how to relate to other children and adults without reference to 'Mummy'.  At the same time it is hard to start my baby girl on her new adventure, knowing that this is just the beginning of her growing more and more independent of me.

So many changes.  Such an interesting time for all my children.  In a tiny corner of my mind I have a little sadness over all the changes, but overwhelmingly I'm so excited for them and all the possibilities and opportunities ahead of them


Of course, I still have Mr M, but he is growing too.  This week he has sat up by himself for the first time.  He rolls around, bounces up and down with just the slightest assistance, chatters and chuckles and we've started weaning.  With babies every day means a new milestone, and I cherish each one as his big blue eyes look into mine and say "What's next mummy?"








Ethans Escapades

13 comments:

  1. We had the same thing were our youngest monkey didn't start reception until today as he had a bug.

    Sounds like a big week of miletstones in your household x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's only natural with five, but it does seem like there's so much happening right now! Hope your little one is fully recovered.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow Nicola. So many changes, and new beginnings, at the same time! It is like this with every school year I guess, but up to now mine have never started one on the same day, so I have had some time to prepare. And somehow it seems easier with just the two...
    I hope they are all having a lovely time (I'm sure they are), and that you are enjoying some R&R and free time :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of change, yes - it's one of the few times I actually notice how many children I have. I am looking forward to a bit more time 'for me'. I started tidying my kitchen this morning! Unheard of behaviour on my part - although at heart I am a very organised person. Goodness knows what I could achieve when Mr M is old enough for school.

      Delete
  3. my grandchildren are growing up so fast but at least i have lots of contact with them now and when we skype its lovely to have them say hi grandma . love them lots xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. where does the time go ... it really flashes by in a blink of an eye.

    thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often joke it's why I keep having babies - that way there is always a little one to help with the shock of the others growing up!

      Delete
  5. Nicola that is a lot of changes - good job you still have the baby, makes it a bit easier. Hope they are all enjoying school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. My friends are waiting for me to announce another pregnancy as soon as the baby becomes a toddler - not going to happen this time, but has every time before!! All the children seem to be happy at school this term, which is great. Miss A was a bit uncertain last term.

      Delete
  6. Wow, you have had a busy time - so much change going on, for all of you, but it sounds like everyone is taking it in their stride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem to be happy! It's been good to start the new school year properly this year, instead of arriving a couple of weeks into the term.

      Delete
  7. Wow so much change going on I think you need a medal! I don't think i would be able to cope well with five children, you must have a very busy house. It sounds like they are all settling in really well and what you wrote about Mr M brought a little tear to my eye.

    Thanks for linking up with Small Steps Amazing Achievements :0)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very busy, and to be honest I don't cope especially well! When all the kids are home - either holidays or weekends - everything else (ie housework) pretty much gets ignored, which is why I'm quite pleased to see them go back to school so I can actually get some stuff done!!!

      Delete

Long or short - I love to hear your thoughts.