Monday, 23 September 2013

Magic Moments - Homework

I know what you're thinking.  How can homework be a Magic Moment?  In fact, just yesterday I was reading an article on the BBC News Website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24126000) about how much stress homework brings into the average family.

I remember the struggle I had when we lived in the Falkland Islands to find space in the three hours between getting home from school and bedtime to help Miss I with her homework - particularly difficult when you're trying to look after a baby and two other younger children and cook dinner.



Since we've been in Wales, however, Miss I has not had homework - other than reading which she loves and spelling practice which I confess I didn't worry about after her teacher told me she was only given it so she didn't feel left out.  This year Miss I started Juniors, however, and last Monday she came bounding off the bus waving a piece of paper at me.

"Mummy, I've got Homework!"

The homework wasn't particularly complicated - write several 'expanded' sentances using a list of 'are' and 'air' words. She was ready and eager to begin, but we had a club that afternoon, so she couldn't do it that night.  The next morning she got up early, sat down at the breakfast table with her list and pencil and began to write her sentances - with the odd suggestion from me as I made everyone breakfast.

Friday my husband met the children off the bus, so it wasn't until she stepped through the door that she told me excitedly.

"Mummy, I've got more Homework!"

This time it was Maths.  Miss I loves Maths and always has.  I quite like Maths too, and I was looking forward to helping her with it.  Unfortunately for me, a quick glance told me she was not going to need my help.  We set up a little desk in her room so she could work in peace and I went back to the other children.  Five minutes later she appeared, clutching her paper.  All done.

Such a contrast to the tears and tantrums over homework we used to have.  No doubt they will return as the homework gets harder, but for now I'm going to enjoy and encourage my daughter's delight in having this new responsibility.




11 comments:

  1. well done imogen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, to see any little girl enthusiastic about doing homework is a delight! Hopefully this brilliant attitude will also rub off on her siblings as they get older :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely hoping for that! Actually, I am already seeing my six year old boy wanting to do his reading because he sees his sister reading all the time. I think it has a lot to do with confidence. I want to encourage these good habits of getting it done straight away, because I was always really bad about that - always leaving it to the last minute and being in a rush!

      Delete
  3. how fantastic that your little girl is so excited about homework and learning!

    thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that it will last, but she does have a very positive attitude to school and learning, so that's a good foundation.

      Delete
  4. Aww well done! It's so great she's excited for homework...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I remember saying to her teacher in the FI that my attitude was 'let's get the Maths done because that's easy, and then work on the Literacy', I was told to focus on the Literacy first! I just like her to want to learn.

      Delete
  5. In general teachers hate homework but we always forget, even as parents ourselves, how much aggro it can cause at home! I'm very disappointed because I did Tobeys homework for him (family tree - something I could be expert at for a change) but the teacher still hasn't looked at it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always hearing from teachers that they don't like having to mark it, and I wonder why set it in the first place? I do understand the principle of it, but especially with all the after school clubs these days it can be hard to find the time. I'm sure Tobey's teacher will be so impressed she'll hire you to do hers ;)

      Delete
  6. That's great that she's enjoying her homework - my 6 year old is ok when it's English/reading/writing, but when it's maths we start to have problems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved Maths, so I think that helps a little. Writings always been a bit of a chore because she's a perfectionist!

      Delete

Long or short - I love to hear your thoughts.