Thursday, 12 September 2013

Reasons to be Cheerful - Driving and Bouncing

This week my main reason to be cheerful is that I can drive!!!  I passed my test in June and finally, three months later, I have a car to drive.

I know I keep going on about it, friends, but you probably can not comprehend how this changes my life.  I am 36 and for the first time in my life I have been able to just go somewhere which isn't within walking distance without having to depend on someone else (whether that be a friend or public transport).  I have driven Miss C to playgroup!  I have collected her myself.  I prayed the whole way, anxiously checking my mirrors every few seconds, but we made it.  Next week Miss I will be able to go to after school clubs because I will be able to go and collect her.


This is my car: it's old and has lots of bangs and scrapes, but it's mine.  I am most impressed with myself for reversing the car into our drive without adding to those scrapes (this time).

I am so grateful to the many people who have given me lifts over the years, and it is wonderful to think that I will be able to do the same for others! 


My second reason to be cheerful is really Mr M's reason to be cheerful.  Grandma has sent him a door bouncer.  Mr M is a child who loves to bounce.  If you put him on your knee he will bounce, if you help him to stand he will bounce, if he sits in his chair, he will bounce.  Now he can hang in the doorway and bounce.





8 comments:

  1. That must be such a relief to be able to go where you want when you want! Love that pic of Mr M in the bouncer he sure looks like he's enjoying himself! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is so chuffed! The only trouble is he can't use it when the others are around because they would end up swinging him.

      Delete
  2. Wow that's great Nicola! Being able to drive is wonderful. I used to love driving. I loved the freedom and also the speed :) (I used to be one of those people who drive really dangerously fast, but that was before the kids of course). Nowadays I don't drive because driving in the UK scares me to death, but also because in London you really don't have to. If we were anywhere else, it would have been harder for me, just like it was for you up until now.
    I am so happy for you! Have lots of fun and go to lots of interesting places! (maybe come to London - subtle hint ;) )
    And congrats on the bouncy thingy. Mine used to love bouncing on the gigantic yoga balls, I had to sit there bouncing him for HOURS. THis is so much better!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good exercise those yoga balls! The door bouncer is lovely - Mr M bounced around watching me bake some bread (yes, me being domesticated!) yesterday morning.
      I am sensing a certain amount of enjoyment for speed developing in me too! Fortunately (or not) the car is so old it starts to shake when I get to 60mph. I really enjoy driving 'on the open road', but am not keen in town - I doubt I will ever drive in London - though I might drive to London and then hand over to Hubby... (Should be in London just before Easter - yeah - but we're probably travelling in by train!)

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful picture of your little bouncer :-).

    Big well done on passing you test! I didn't pass til I was 30 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who left it so late to learn to drive. The children are very excited because they realise what it means for them too.

      Delete
  4. Well done with the driving, I still get scared and pray lots years and years later! lol Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided yesterday that when I stop being scared, I'll probably start being dangerous, so it's probably healthy - and always good to keep praying!

      Delete

Long or short - I love to hear your thoughts.