Wednesday, 25 September 2013

Settling and Singing...

When we first moved to Wales we started going to the local Toddler Group, Miss A, Miss C and I - Mr M was there too, but enjoying the sounds of play from within the womb, so to speak.  Miss A, a cheerful and confident child most of the time, joined in loudly and joyously with all the activities - painting, story time and especially singing.  Miss C, only about 14 months when we started, was a bit more reticent and spent most of the time on my knee.

Then Miss A went to full days at Nursery after Easter, and it was just Miss C and I - oh, and Mr M who had made his gracious appearance just before the holidays.  It's funny how having a new baby makes you view the older children different - and makes them view themselves differently too - and I think this was compounded by Miss A no longer being with us in the days for me to compare Miss C to.  Suddenly Miss C blossomed into the child who joined in with everything.  I let her do the painting, she went and played by herself with the toys, enjoyed snack and story time and sat down on the mat for singing time.

Slowly but surely she became a confident little girl rather than my carefully protected baby.  She's been joining in pretty well with most things, but although she would join in the actions on the songs and loved ring-a-ring-o-roses, I hadn't heard her little voice - she seemed too absorbed by watching the play leader or the other children.

When the new school term started, Miss C started playgroup.  I had been concerned that - being my most clingy child (or perhaps me clinging onto her) - she would find it upsetting to be left at playgroup without me.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  The first morning she cried while I walked out of the door, but as soon as I was outside I could hear she had stopped.  Any nursery teacher will tell you this is usually what happens - although it can take a few minutes for the child to settle.  Since that first day, Miss C goes to playgroup with great excitement, settles down to her play-dough and waves me goodbye with a grin not a tear.

Yesterday, back at our Toddler Group - which happens to be in the same setting as her playgroup - I saw what I consider to be the final stamp of her approval of playgroup.  She was singing.  All of the songs.  And not just singing, but doing all the actions and turning occasionally to encourage me to do them too, as if she was showing me what she had learnt when I wasn't there.

I am no longer anxious as I take her to playgroup.  I know that she loves it, I know it was the right decision, and now I can enjoy some precious time with just Mr M at home...  And when he's asleep, I can enjoy some precious time just for me!

I'm linking this post with Ethan's Escapades: Small Steps Amazing Achievements.  Click the link below to read about some other Amazing Achievements.

Ethans Escapades

10 comments:

  1. Aww! Wonderful! Sounds like she's really enjoying playgroup! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is! It's such a relief because she's always been the kind of child who hates me to be out of sight - comes hunting for me if I go to the toilet, that kind of thing. She loves her teachers and the fact she can do messy stuff she doesn't get to do at home. I think it helps she's in the same building as her big brother and sisters and sees them occassionally.

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's brilliant! My boys both went to nursery, so loved things like this because they were used to being a bit more independent. The wee girl unfortunately hasn't had the same opportunities and is currently extremely clingy... I'm working on it, but it's tough - I'm so pleased for you that it's going well with Miss C :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss C has always been at home with me, and because we were in the FI when she was little with few babysitters and no family she was only very occassionally left with anyone else. I'm sure your girl will get used to it soon.

      Delete
  3. I've noticed a similar change in my youngest since her big brother started full time school!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose their status in the family changes as the older siblings move on to new things, suddenly they can be big!

      Delete
  4. This is a lovely post, so nice to read how she has blossomed and gained independence. I must admit I think I am quite guilty of babying Ethan and even at the grand age of three we call him our baby!

    Thanks for linking up with Small Steps Amazing Achievements :0)
    x

    ReplyDelete

Long or short - I love to hear your thoughts.