Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Big Bed Time...

Mr M is six and a half months old.  He has been sleeping in a Moses Basket next to our bed since he was born, and despite it becoming increasingly snug, I have been hesitant to move him into his big cot in his own room.  This is for several reasons - the key one being that I am just clinging onto my little boy, because he is our last little one.  (Yes, really!).  The more practical reason is that he has been waking up every couple of hours for a feed, and it is so much easier just to reach over and feed him.

For the last couple of nights, however, we've changed his bedtime routine - putting him up to bed when he falls asleep for the evening (any time from 6.30pm to 8.30pm) rather than keeping him downstairs with us in his day cot (a travel cot where I put him to keep him safe from the other four pestering him).  It has made an amazing difference to how settled he has been at night.  I shouldn't be surprised really - I know it's been a mistake to keep him with us and then wake him to take him to bed when we go up.

So, I decided to take the plunge.  I moved my nursing chair into his bedroom and set out his blankets in his cot.  Then, last night, I placed him in his cot just as he was starting to get sleepy.  I didn't want to put him down asleep, as in my experience waking up in a new place disturbs the children, so he was awake and grinned up at me as I put him in.  I think, even as young as he is, he is aware that this is a big boy bed - he loves to sit in his big brother's bed when we put Mr J to bed and always enjoyed lying in the cot with Miss C when it was hers.

He was very quiet when I left him, cried about ten minutes later for a very short while and then was quiet again.  A very good start.

He did wake a couple of times for a feed in the night - tired mummy - but when I went in to see him this morning he was cooing happily and grinned at me.  Clearly Mr M was quite ready for his own room and his own bed.  Mummy on the other hand could take a little while longer to adjust!

A small step for my baby...  A massive achievement for both of us!


Ethans Escapades

14 comments:

  1. Aww!! How adorable!!
    You're right such a big achievement for you both!! Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  2. sabrina montagnoli9 October 2013 at 14:06

    I guess I should firstly say then well done mummy! teehee. Awww those smiles in the morning say it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orli, Just Breathe9 October 2013 at 14:45

    What a big step! It's amazing how it is with babies, especially I guess with the last ones, because everything is "for the last time"... Moving a baby to his own room is a gigantic step, so I hope you are doing ok :) I know I had the worse case of anxiety when I had to do that, and I still check that they are breathing every night (a few times a night)... But congrats, because as hard as it is on us, it is the right move :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw he looks adorable! I think this is a huge step - well done to both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost caved last night and put him in his moses basket next to the bed, but I was strong and he slept until 6am! Very good boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I am very proud of myself!!! I love to hear babies talking to themselves in the morning before they realise you're near them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We went shopping this morning and I insisted on carrying him around with me rather than putting him in the trolley - I miss my boy! Just need to get him to stop the nighttime feeds so I can get a full night sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. He's growing up so fast, but it's beyond time to have moved him out of the Moses Basket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, such a massive step!well done to ye both!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr M sounds like my young one who was in the moses basket until he bust our of it at 7 months. He is still in our room and wakes frequently meaning we end up co-sleeping after his midnight waking so well done I might have to follow your lead but like you I'm clinging on to my baby as he is also our last.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fortunately (or not, depending...) we don't have room in our bedroom for the cot, so my decsion was pretty much made for me. Good luck settling your boy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW I think you did so well keeping him the moses basket for that long, Ethan tried to break out of his after six weeks so was moved to the cot, in his own room :0(. It sounds like Mr M is really coping well with the move and bedtime, can you send him over here to give our guy a prep talk lol.

    Thanks for linking up with Small Steps Amazing Achievements :0)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The big problem now is he still feeds in the night. Last night at 2am and 4am I had to stumble down the hall to his room, wrap myself in a quilt and feed him. Must try and stop night feeds!

    ReplyDelete

Long or short - I love to hear your thoughts.