Monday, 21 October 2013

Chocolate Stars

I have a small confession to make.  I'm afraid I am guilty of bribery and corruption in the raising of my children...

It seems to work though!

Each time we have approached potty training with our children we have used the Chocolate Button method: every time the potty is successfully used the child gets a chocolate button.  To add to the encouragement we have also given a chocolate button to the older children in celebration - which ensures that they are helpful and co-operative during what can be a trying time.

Miss C has been potty trained for a few months now, but still will occasionally ask for her chocolate button (or stars as they've been recently because they're on special at the supermarket).

Recently, to encourage her to stay in bed, we have agreed she can have an extra chocolate star in the morning if she hasn't got up in the night.  Again, it seems to be working - it certainly got us passed the very trying phase after we moved her out of her cot and into her own big bed.

This morning she came bounding in to the living room full of smiles and looked up at me sweetly.

"Mummy, please have chocolate star for stay in bed.  Please have chocolate star for wee-wee.  Me have two stars, please!"

How can I answer that except with a smile and production of two little chocolate stars?  Looks like the bribery has an extra benefit - she's learning to add...



25 comments:

  1. Bless her, we used books with potty training here - worked a treat too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe chocolate stars are great bribery in our house too. And when they say "please!!!" so ernestly its so hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chocolate bribery always worked for my middle one, who always thought with her stomach! Whatever works, I say! Well done to her :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww!! How cute!! I still bribe my girls with chocolate...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. sarahhillwheeler21 October 2013 at 11:09

    I'm all for bribery...and resorted to sweets for potty training....all else failed and I heard a chap from a children's home mention he used sweets (very Un PC I know) and it works. All else failed with J. Strangely now he very rarely asks for sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jocelyn (@ihavecards)21 October 2013 at 11:36

    Maths as well as potty training! Must buy more chocolate in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I think chocolate buttons are just about the right size for an instant reward!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know... bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think small children especially need something concrete and immediate to encourage them when they do well

    ReplyDelete
  10. I even bribe myself with chocolate - works wonders ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I agree - whatever works!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know. She is very good at saying please and thank you, and I can rarely say no when she does!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Books are a good idea - I've known friends who've sat child on the potty and read to them to keep them there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If it works..why not..I love those chocolate stars

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do too, which is why mummy gets a chocolate star too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lol i think its a law that bribery should be used!!


    Thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree - one of those natural laws, it's only common sense!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that's a thought... she'll be fighting her big sister for that one - actually maybe that's why all the kids are pretty good at Maths!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Always works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. aww so cute, my son loves chocolate stars xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. You can't go wrong with Chocolate I always think - except for my OH who is alergic!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love chocolate stars myself, would probably be bribed by them quite easily! Hehe xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Orli, Just Breathe24 October 2013 at 14:01

    Oh that's precious :) Well, adding is a very useful skill. Especially in chocolate :) My kids love chocolate stars too, though I tend to use Milky-Ways for my bribery. Should start using the stars instead!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Adding is very useful indeed. I use tiny rewards very often because the little ones need that immediate connection. When we have bigger things it's usually because I need a chocolate fix and the kids are watching me!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I prefer the giant chocolate buttons myself!

    ReplyDelete

Long or short - I love to hear your thoughts.