Thursday, 10 October 2013

#R2BC Book Club

Last night was Book Club in the Village.  There is something wonderful about book clubs.  I'm sure there are groups out there which take them very seriously, where everyone religiously reads the book every time, where the discussions are long and literary.  I'm sure there are groups which don't begin with a standard acknowledgement that it's really not about the book and if we talk about it for more than ten minutes we're doing well.

That isn't our group.  Our group is about a selection of like minded ladies, sharing a common love for reading itself - whatever form that may take - who gather together to chat about many things, one of which is books in general.  The others know each other very well.  Most have been neighbours for many years - neighbours in a village that is famed locally for its social activities.  As a fairly new member of the community I have felt incredibly welcomed by these ladies.  (I know I go on about it, but I do love living here).

For me, this group is an oasis of adult company in the midst of my child-centric life.  I have other regular evenings out to gather with Christian friends and pray, and this I love doing - but on one level, although wonderful and refreshing times for me personally, these are my working times, they are not purely for fun.  Book Club is something that is just for me, simply for the enjoyment of it.

Last night there were only a few of us.  We were there to discuss The Great Gatsby.  (See my Book Reviews Blog if you're interested in what I thought - Link above.)  We did talk about it quite alot, we also talked about other books we had enjoyed recently.  We talked about things that had happened in the village - sometimes quite a while ago.  We talked about films and TV programs.  We talked about schools and education.  We talked about children - small children, grown up children, grandchildren.

All in all it was a lovely time to chat and relax.  And this is my Reason to be Cheerful this week.


Reasons to be Cheerful at Mummy from the Heart

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely book club you belong to and it is wonderful that you feel welcomed. I also belong to a book club, although we are a bit slack when it comes to discussing our books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to belong to a book club, the closest i've come is #50books2013 run by Mama Owl! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great way to spend some grown up time, i wish there was one near me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely reason and how lucky you are to be welcomed in a new community. This is actually @Kateonthinice commenting by the way

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a great book club. I have been to two others before in other places. The first was quite formal and I only went twice. The second was just the girls on the base in the Falklands getting together for a bit of a chat, drink and occassionally saying the word book. This one is a nice mixture of both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe we could have a Twitter book club? Read a book, tweet what you think, while chatting about other things? I might give the #50books a go in 2014 if she runs it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are there no like minded folk you could gather together? I do find it a great reason to meet up with people - whether we actually talk about the book or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Kate "waves" It is a very special community, everyone has been very welcoming since the day we arrived a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! They are a lovely bunch and I've definitely broadened my reading since I joined the group.

    ReplyDelete

Long or short - I love to hear your thoughts.