Thursday, 3 October 2013

#R2BC Eggs & Friendship

This week various things have made me appreciate how much I love living where we are now.  Often before in my life I have been looking forward to the next adventure - enjoying the now, yes, but always with an eye to where it was leading me.  There has always been an inherent insecurity to our lifestyle, the knowledge that we are only in that place for a season - since I left school the longest I have lived in any one place is three years.

This time is different - although there is still the potential of moving on.  This time I feel rooted.  Maybe it's because we bought a house this time - my dream house.  Maybe it's because, although my husband's work brought us here, it is my 'work' that is the reason for us remaining here.  Deep thoughts.

In the midst of my enjoyment of our lives at the moment two things stand out for me today.

The first is friendship.  Wherever we have gone we have made true friends - many of you are reading this blog.  I am so grateful for your friendship, though we are, for the most part, far away from each other now.  I value the season we had together in our journey, and the brief moments of connection we still have.  I value knowing that - even with the distance, the abscence from each other's lives - the things that made us friends when we were near are still true and keep my affection for you very strong so that as and when we meet again we'll have a fab time together!  In this new place we have made many new friends, and though some are moving away - you know who you are! - my experience over all these years shows me that our friendship will survive the distance and that makes me truly happy.

The second is eggs, well, and chickens.  The Chickens are a constant source of amusement and pleasure to me.  I love to watch them pottering about the garden (although I do get intensely irritated over the mess they make).  I love that they jump up on to the window sill of whichever room we are in.  Yesterday I was watching one of them chasing flies, that predatory stalking, the eyes fixed and then a quick dart forward.  One less fly in the world has got to be good news.  I love that they are useful pets - we're now on five eggs a day again and they are yummy eggs.  Miss C and I are currently enjoying them scrambled for lunch most days.  I love that they recognise me, come running when I step out into the garden, call to me when I park the car.  I know it's just cupboard love, but it's very sweet when they follow me around the garden in hopes that I'll be picking blackberries.

So those are my reasons for being cheerful this morning.  What are yours?




Reasons to be Cheerful at Mummy from the Heart

8 comments:

  1. What wonderful reasons :) though, not a big fan of chickens... Live or dead ;)
    I find it difficult to even imagine not looking ahead to the next adventure, but as the kids get older I know I will have to. I only have a short few years and then I will have to have roots somewhere for a few years at least. I am happy to see you found yours, because it gives me hope that I will be able to find mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't a big fan of live chickens either (didn't mind dead ones!) but they've definitely grown on me. It helps that I have no responsibility for them! Roots are hard when you're used to exploring, but it has been a very nice - if slightly scary - feeling to look around and think this could be our home, if not forever, at least until the children are grown. Of course, life doesn't always go to plan...

      Delete
  2. Friends are a wonderful reason indeed, you do sound very happy and rooted in your home/ area - great to read. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am - blessed and called to be here!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness I just love chickens! I really want some and I just love that photo of the one on your windowsill. Glad you're enjoying your eggs! Thanks very much for linking up to my blog, I've added my link to your blog hop too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours are such characters - I didn't think they would be, and I didn't realise how much a part of our family they would become!
      The #R2BC linky comes from http://www.mummyfromtheheart.com/ - I forgot to put the picture link in as well. Check out her blog for her reasons behind it. She runs it every Thursday and I love joining in with it.

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely read! It sounds so idyllic xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I guess it does sound idyllic!

      Delete

Long or short - I love to hear your thoughts.