Thursday, 28 November 2013

A Diving Board & A Monkey

Last night before bed, Mr J was attempting to build a diving board for his toy monkey (MutMut).  He was getting frustrated because he couldn't get the two bolster cushions to stay rigid when MutMut walked along it.  First he solved this by putting a long cardboard tube underneath them, but it couldn't support both cushions.



I tried to help, but nothing either of us did was working.  Finally I told him that unfortunately the laws of physics were against him and he would just have to be satisfied with it looking good without being actually usable by MutMut.  It was time for bed and I wasn't prepared to get embroiled in a discussion of engineering.

This morning he came downstairs at breakfast time very excited.  "Mummy, come and see my diving board!"

I was suitably impressed.  He had wedged a piece of his wooden train track between the bolster cushions and the cardboard tube, creating just the right support for MutMut to walk along before plunging into the carefully prepared swimming pool.


 I think perhaps he may be destined to follow his Grandfather into a career in Civil Engineering!


I'm linking this with Small Steps Amazing Achievements over at Ethan's Escapades.




7 comments:

  1. Orli, Just Breathe28 November 2013 at 21:14

    That is such a great idea. I can't believe he thought about it all by himself over the night! I am impressed.
    The whole thing, form the original idea to the actual successful engineering is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Orli, I was pretty impressed with him myself! I went so far as to look up Civil Engineering to see what qualifications he'll need - a bit premature for a six year old, perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara (@mumturnedmom)30 November 2013 at 03:00

    Love this - how ingenious :) definitely an engineer in the making (and I speak as a fellow engineer!) xx #SSAmazingAchievements

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baked Potato Mummy30 November 2013 at 09:28

    Brilliant! Kids can be so inventive when inspired. Definitely an engineer in the making! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! Excellent to have a 'professional' endorsement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's such an inventive child - I'm always grateful when that inventiveness is properly directed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing problem solver your little boy is, and he didn't give up until he had made his diving board.

    Thanks for linking up with Small Steps Amazing Achievements :0)
    x

    ReplyDelete

Long or short - I love to hear your thoughts.