Thursday, 21 November 2013

#R2BC Being here...


My reasons to be cheerful this week are very different from each other, but they all come under that heading of Being Here...

The First is simply being here, in our home, in this community.  So often in our family we have been looking to the next place, the next thing, the next opportunity - enjoying the wanderlust and the adventure.  But right now I am so very content to be here.  It's not perfect - as winter draws ever closer we're fighting a constant battle against damp in our house which can take some of the joy out of owning our own home.  Yesterday we had to strip the wallpaper off the alcove wall behind our chest of drawers because it was covered in mold and the wall was dripping wet with damp / water penetration.  Yet, this is a very small thing compared to having such a lovely home that exactly matches what we need and want for our family.  Being 'out in the sticks' has its challenges too, but the community more than makes up for the lack of facilities.  And who can argue with these kind of views?

The Second reason is being in the UK.  Of course, there are many faults with the UK, many areas where there could be improvement but on the whole we are very fortunate to live here.  Last week I was thinking about the choices we have, this week I'm thinking about the care.  I believe that it is the mark of a civilised society that we can support our most vulnerable members.  The Welfare System and the NHS are not perfect, but are so much better than not having that safety net.  I know that there are many people who are not supported properly - children, the elderly and many more who do not often get our sympathy - but I am conscious that in many other societies either these people are left without any help or are solely the responsibility of their own family and friends who often don't have the skills or resources to do what is needed.  There is so much I could say on this but this is not the place or time, so I will simply say this:
I believe that care of an individual should not depend on their value to me, my ability to sympathise with their situation, their adherence to my value system or their ability to help me in the future.  I know that if it was left to me, many people would not receive the help they need or deserve as fellow human beings, and so I am grateful that the government has taken on the duty of care that should fall to me, even if it means higher taxes for my family.
Bringing this back to a more personal level, I cannot imagine having to factor the cost of medical care into my life, worrying what will happen if one of my children is ill and it wasn't covered by insurance.  Miss A had earache last week, and was in a great deal of pain.  So we took her to the doctors and were given anti-biotics.  No question, no cost.  Then you have Miss C with her Albinism.  I have asked to have her referred to a Dermatologist for advice because although we know a lot about what is happening with her eyes, I have no real understanding of how it affects her skin.  I am so grateful that I am able to do this and not worry about how much it will cost us.


On another note entirely, Husband's reason to be cheerful this week is that we haven't put the central heating on yet, meaning we have only used three inches of oil since the 1st August (for hot water).  This is due to a Herculean effort on his part to keep the wood stove burning.  As he says, better to use something Carbon-Neutral like wood for our heating than Dead Dinosaurs.  (I should also note that he disagrees with my second reason to be cheerful, being a great believer in the responsibility of family and friends rather than the state...)


What are your reasons to be cheerful this week?  Have look at some of the other blogs linked up this week too.

9 comments:

  1. I have to agree that the care system in this country, although needing a lot of improvement, is better than most. The area you live in looks glorious, plenty to be happy about with that x

    ReplyDelete
  2. you live in a beautiful place! we are lucky that we have our NHS even if its not 100% perfect. So jealous of the log burner. Thanks for joining in

    ReplyDelete
  3. The log burner is a real joy - alhtough if it wasn't for Husband, it would not get used since I'm rubbish at lighting or maintaining it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is. I can't get over how fortunate we are to live here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beautiful - most of the time, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I'm very grateful to be where I am too and just have to remember to live in the day. Well doewn to hubby keeping the wood burner going, no central heating yet is a fab effort. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very impressed with Husband's efforts to keep us warm - even if I disagree on social policy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orli, Just Breathe30 November 2013 at 17:00

    Meant to write a comment for this a few days ago but only now getting to it... How bad am I? First of all, I am really impressed with the fact that you haven't used the central heating yet! I have switched mine on around the beginning of October... I don't think I would survive where you live... But then again we don't have a fireplace, just the underfloor heating...
    Second, you know I agree with you about the NHS, and living in the UK. Can't say it's our last stop, but we are as happy as you to be here right now.

    And as always - I love the view where you live :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's perishingly cold sometimes, especially as in the evening I use the downstairs bathroom to avoid disturbing the children which is in the extension at the back - it's just very expensive to run the central heating! I thought you'd be with me on the NHS. Will you ever go back the Israel, do you think? I surprise myself by imagining growing old here - scary thought!
    And you're not bad at all - I frequently read posts and then it's a while before I can manage to write a comment.... Like I read this comment yesterday and am only replying today ;)

    ReplyDelete

Long or short - I love to hear your thoughts.