Sunday, 8 December 2013

My picture: His words - God is Love

God is love
"We know how much God loves us because we have felt his love and because we believe him when he tells us that he loves us dearly. God is love, and anyone who lives in love is living with God and God is living in him. And as we live with Christ, our love grows more perfect and complete; so we will not be ashamed and embarrassed at the day of judgement, but can face him with confidence and joy because he loves us and we love him too.  We need have no fear of someone who loves us perfectly; his perfect love for us eliminates all dread of what he might do to us. If we are afraid, it is for fear of what he might do to us and shows that we are not fully convinced that he really loves us.  So you see, our love for him comes as a result of his loving us first."  1 John 4v16-19 Living Bible

This is one of those concepts of Christianity that is so simple and such a hard thing to truly comprehend.  I "know how much God loves me because I have felt his love and because I believe him when he tells me that he loves me dearly" and yet I still find myself approaching him softly, fearfully, wondering if I really am accepted.  And then I find myself thinking about what love is: I look at my children and their instinctive acceptance of my love and this verse challenges me.  Challenges me to love more, but also to recognise how much more I am loved.

On Wednesday 4th December I was listening to Radio Two's "Being Human" series (http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/human).  This week it was Economist Lord Robert Skidelsky talking about what makes us human.  He quoted another Economist who claimed that as love was limited it was therefore the role of the economist to find ways of reducing its use.  Lord Skidelsky disagreed with that premise, however, stating that actually it is information that is limited and by acting from the relatively unlimited resources of love and instinct we are able to conserve our limited resource of information.  It made me think about how it isn't really necessary to understand in order to love or be loved.  Love goes beyond understanding, it is instinct, it is faith.  In fact, love leads to understanding because it causes an increase in patience.  The irony of an Economist talking about love, of course, is that love is extravagant.  As human beings we do not have perfect love for one another - my love for my family is far from perfect as I have been aware through my lack of patience this morning! - but God does.  Not only is His love unlimited but God IS love.  His whole character is built on love.  I find myself thinking that if I can only know him better then I can experience his love better, and there is truth in that.  But I can see that the power of love is instinctive - both in giving and receiving - so my first step is not to understand but to believe and to stop striving to understand Why God loves me.  Just like my baby accepts my love, trusts it, expects it... that is how I need to receive Love.

I'm joining again with Michelle at Mummy from the Heart.  Why not go have a look at her thoughts on Preparation.


3 comments:

  1. I think this is one of the hardest things to understand about God and christianity - there is no totally unconditional love on earth, it is not something we are familiar with. Acceptance of His love is the first step on the road to freedom but sadly many people never get that far because they can't comprehend and the word 'grace' is difficult to understand. How releasing it is to know that He loves us no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, so simple and yet so hard to fully grasp, What a way to spend a lifetime though, learning more and more each day just how much He loves us. Thanks, Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so great. I think I really needed to read that today (have struggled on the patience front today a lot) - I always question whether I am deserving of being loved and yet that is what accepting Jesus is about I suppose - none of us deserves God's love but He loves us regardless just as we forgive and love our children no matter what. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Long or short - I love to hear your thoughts.